Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Grandma

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, my family took a trip to California to see my Grandma Lasard. She was my dad's mom and she was so cool! She had an ice cream shop of some sort out there somethere - I think it was called something like "Frostys." Two days into the trip, I got sick...really sick. I can remember just coughing and coughing and coughing (something I am sure I inherited from my wonderful mother). I also remember my Grandma making me the most wonderful concoction to stop my horrible, raw throat coughing. It had the most wonderful smell! It was made of honey (1/2 cup I think), the juice of one lemon, and a tsp (or TBSP?) of glycerine. She would warm up the honey to a wonderfully runny consistency then add in the lemon and glycerine. It was HEAVEN! All of a sudden, I didn't mind being sick on my trip, I was drinking of the most wonderful medicine known to man! As I sipped the liquid gold, it's warmth would glide down my throat, soothing the soreness. Pure bliss....



Tonight, I noticed that my extra large bottle of honey was no longer squeezable and decided to warm it up so that I could transfer some to my little bottle of honey that the kids love to put on just about everything. I put it in a small pan of water and allowed it to warm itself through on low heat.

Then something happened...as I was pouring the honey into the small bear shaped bottle, I remembered my grandma, my trip to California, and her cough suppressing liquid heaven. Then all of my other memories all of a sudden came rushing back.

She passed away back in 1993. I love my Grandma dearly and am so very glad to know that families can be together forever and that she is just on the other side of the veil, waiting to see me. I cannot describe the peace that that knowledge gives me.

Don't you just love those little memories that bring such joy rushing back to your mind?

1 comment:

Erin Sipes said...

Wow, what a great memory. It is funny how such powerful memories just show up :)

My Blog List